Pierce County Skills Center
Pierce County’s Best Kept Secret!
All I can say is: Wow. For four years this gem has been teaching local high school students job skills in the aerospace, medical, culinary and computer industries. PCSC serves 9 school districts (Bethel, Eatonville, Franklin Pierce, Orting, Steilacoom, Sumner, Tacoma, White River and Fife) and has been in operation since 2010.
Students can earn college credits as well as fulfilling their high school graduation requirements, and are learning valuable leadership and basic work skills that will help them enter the industries they want. The multidisciplinary programs give students an enormous advantage as they leave high school and enter college and/or the workforce. By participating in the programs they are learning real-life applications of their high school classes, especially math and science.
Here’s the full list of programs for the kids:
- Aerospace Composites
- Automotive Technology
- Cosmetology (off site)
- DigiPen Video Game Development
- Medical Careers
- Pre-Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine
- Aerospace Manufacturing/Fabrication
- Construction Trades
- Criminal Justice
- Fire Science & Emergency Services
- PC Networking & Hardware Repari
- Pre-Veterinary Technology
- Welding (after school satellite program)
And as if that’s not impressive enough, they’ll be adding full-scale Culinary Arts, Hotel & Restaurant Management and Additional Medical programs to the curriculum beginning in September 2015!
The business community can support PCSC in a number of ways:
- Advisory Committee participation
- As a guest speaker
- Provide internships for students to participate in
- Provide speaking opportunities for more people to learn about PCSC
- Employ a PCSC grad
- Become a volunteer
- Buy a Custom Made Shed (limited time)!
Check out their video!
If you have a chance drop by and take a look, or better yet contact Director Michelle Ledbetter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and have her come speak to your organization. Believe me it will be time well spent!
The Pierce County Skills Center is located at 160th and Canyon Road.